View Single Post
Old 05-27-17, 05:40 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I used the time I had to take the Panasonic out of service to find a replacement binder bolt to recover the saddle. It's a very light Selle Italia Carbonio with minimal padding, and had no tears, so I didn't take the old leather off. The finish on the original leather was just shot, and was starting to rough up my short. Plus it's that funky design with the little cutout triangle in the back, and I didn't want to mess with that.

I used the basic technique outlined here - sprayed the top of the saddle, and the bottom of the leather, with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, got a nice stretched fit, and then used Weldwood contact cement on the underside edges and the leather that wrapped under. Had to mess around with the nose and redo it a couple of times, and never got the under-wrap there as neat and wrinkle free as I wanted, but it looks great. After one ride it might even be a teeny tiny bit more comfortable.

Don't know why I didn't take a photo from a similar view, or why the first photo is upside-down. Anyway, I already had the spray adhesive and contact cement, so for about $4 in high quality scrap leather, I have a super light saddle that should be good for at least a few more years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WornSaddle.jpg (97.2 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg
RecoveredSaddlecrop.jpg (94.9 KB, 548 views)