Old 08-12-19, 07:41 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I did a quick experiment with Amtrak web site. I put in Kansas City to Albuquerque for Saturday, August 17th. On the first screen that has the fare ($120), there is also a symbol for the number of bicycle slots available, in this case the train has six slots that can be reserved @ $20 each.

If you try to go to La Junta, CO on the same train on the same day (but without baggage service), then there are no bicycle slots available...as shown in the second screen shot below.

Here is the same train but only going to La Junta

So I think you can get "there" with a bicycle on Amtrak on the Southwest Chief train, but need to pick your stops appropriately. Here is a link to the schedule for that line and you need to use stops with the little suitcases beside them - https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-073118.pdf

Also note that the PDF schedule above says "Trains 3 and 4: trainside checked bicycle service offered between staffed locations handling checked baggage. Customers will check in with the station agent, get a claim check/baggage tag for their bike, and hand up to a crew member inside the baggage car."

Last edited by mev; 08-12-19 at 07:53 PM.