Old 04-26-08, 08:59 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
20" x 1.75 rim. How low can you go?

Given the small wheel size, it seems like a question for the folding forums. I'm preparing to replace the tires on my Tote-Cycle. I currently have 406, 20 x 1.75 tires on what appears to be about a 32 mm rim. I'm looking to replace the rim, but hopefully keep the same tire size. There's lots of 406 rims out there, but most run a fair bit narrower than 32mm. How narrow can go and still use the 1.75 tires? I was looking at the Velocity Taipan which, at least from some vendors, is listed as a 20 x 1.75 rim with a width of 28 mm. Meanwhile, the Sun Rhyno Lite is listed as a 20 x 1.5 rim at 27.5 mm. So how narrow is too narrow for a 1.75 rim? I'm considering both of those rims, but also considering that might have to spring for a more expensive, wider rim. But then the tires I'm thinking about are Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, which I believe I've heard can run a little smaller than advertised, so maybe a slightly narrow tire is fine.

So what's a good rim width? And does anyone have any experience with any of those rims or using the 20" Marathons?