Old 09-22-13, 01:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Since it's now fall and racing season is a long way away, I'm bumping this. It's a good read. I'm getting into the weight room three times a week these days and getting a good dose of deadlifts and squats, but after a little while, I'm going to start incorporating those single leg, ballistic leg presses described above for power. I don't have the time to learn olympic lifting.
There are many ways to do this. For 2 seasons, all I did was leg press (sub for squat), single leg press (sub for squat), and explosive single leg press (sub for power clean). It worked.

I asked my friend (she's a doctor of physical therapy) of how high-weight leg press compared to high-weight squatting in terms of risk of injury. She said that I was simply trading the risk of hurting my spinal discs for the risk of hurting my pelvis (I'm sure she said some medical term, but I can't recall).

So, for me, it was 6 one way, and 1/2 dozen the other way.

I've heard from 2nd hand account of two Olympic, Elite World Champ sprinters on the same national team, 1 uses leg press and the other uses squat.

I really like the idea of both the back squat and the dual/single leg presses for different reasons. Back squat for the added core strength and the single leg presses due to the fact that we engage legs individually when cycling.

Last edited by carleton; 09-22-13 at 01:23 PM.