View Single Post
Old 05-24-20, 05:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Since the frame is on its way, I have begun a write up about my experiences on getting a custom bike.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...road-bike.html
Good write up at the other link.

You may want to find out if the frame has a replaceable (breakable) derailleur hanger, and get a spare when you get the frame. Also, find out if anyone other than the manufacturer makes the hanger as an aftermarket option instead of having to go back to the original manufacturer. I mention this because nobody makes the hanger that I would need for my Lynskey, other than Lynskey.

You will need to figure out what you want for a case, just throwing out my two cents worth on that.

I have not flown with my Ritchey Break Away bike yet, but I have the case. It is a few inches bigger than the 62 inch criteria that most USA airlines use for luggage, but the Break Away owners I have talked to said that the airlines only rarely measured it. One owner said that he on one occasion had to pay the oversize fee. That was the only occurrence that I have heard of where the fee was charged.

I have flown with my S&S Backpack case. I like that case. It has no wheels, but that is not a deal breaker for me. I have on a couple occasions carried it on my back as a backpack. It meets the 62 inch criteria. I added two 26 X 26 inch (corners cut round to fit) sheets of Coroplast to stiffen up the case better, bought the Coroplast at Home Despot. My S&S bike uses 26 inch wheels, I can't comment on fitting 700c wheels into a case.

If you wanted to carry tools and other stuff in the case, a luggage scale is the travelers best friend.

I find it easier to pack my folder into my S&S case when I remove the cassette first. I use a combination of zip ties and two sided velcro to tie all the large parts (frame, fork, wheels) together into one big item when I pack the bike. And include a note to TSA that they should just lift that out of the case if they need to visually inspect it. Then if they do not cut the zipties, they should be able to do their inspection without damage to the bike when re-packing it. I carry a small side cutter to cut zip ties as one of my tools.

I have to remove the fork from the frame to pack it into the case. I put all the headset pieces back on the steerer tube in correct order and orientation. And on my phone I have a photo of the headset parts in correct order and orientation. Also have a copy of the manufacture diagram for the headset so I never get that messed up.

I remove the chain and put that in a ziplock.

Carry shop sized tools instead of a little multi-tool for assembly and dis-assembly, it is worth the weight to speed that up.

You are going to like that bike.

ADDENDUM ADDED COUPLE DAYS LATER:

I have to remove the cranksest from my S&S bike to fit that into the S&S case.

I think I can keep the crankset on the Break Away bike and pack that into the Break Away case, which is a good thing because I do not have the crank tools for that particular bike.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-26-20 at 05:48 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: