View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 09:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1

I'm also a fan of RoS's builds; like he reads my mind, then does it better.
A great frame is a great frame. Better components do not dilute that.
A great frame in decades-old kit is even better in modern stuff. Almost always.
Wheels, then crankset, then drivetrain. They get you pretty far.
Toss in modern amenities like an Innicycle headset/stem, carbon bars/stem/seat post and modern saddles?
Hoo boy. Hoo boy. Almost always. I've had a couple that seemed to pout about it and not want to play
Kids, you don't have to imagine what it's like, you can do it and see for yourself.
Find out what rccardr and Chrome Molly and others know.
I urge folks to at least try and build one, just one, and see how it goes.
We're getting to where decent used 11sp stuff is reasonably priced, 10-sp is cheap cheap.

My latest cheapo shopping list to "do it up right:"
Innicycle headset/stem adapter.
Chinese carbon bars, stem, saddle, seat post.
Used modern group with external BB and light wheels.

That being said, one should not expect a high-end classic steel frame with identical kit to out-perform a modern carbon.
There are still frame differences purely due to weight and geometry that may not always meet your expectations.

The differences are acceptable for me. Actually, in some cases, more fun.
I rode 80 miles yesterday with 4600' of climbing on a 1996 frame with Ultegra 6800.
50/34 front and 11-28 rear had me doubting my ability.
53/39 and 12-24 could have had me weeping in futility.
Adrenaline overcame it on the first half of most climbs, reality kicked me to the curb the 2nd half.
But, it was bearable, and just the idea that I was on an "old bike" made it more fun.

I would like to try a 1x11 on a C&V frame, but I doubt there'll be a "next one."
Doesn't mean I can't swap sheet around and give it a shot.
Aww, you guys are making me blush! Thank you, and very well stated on everything else you said. There are a number of great modernizers on this forum like yourself (that dark grey Ironman you did was devastating), and I'm happy to be among them, plying my non-trade. A lot of modern stuff is really great, and it often enhances things, especially race bikes, appreciably. I think I'll let deep section carbon be as I've really liked the spring+damping of, essentially, Dura-Ace C24 box section carbon/aluminum wheels. With my frames at scaffolding sizes, an 'airy' looking pair of wheels looks a bit more appropriate/congruous, and is often a bit more comfortable. And cheaper, because deep section carbon wheels are $$$. And very very sexy.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: