View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 09:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Car update, recall my 18 year old bashed into a big log and bent the front passenger wheel on the 2007 Odyssey Minivan. We actually do have collision coverage on the car, which I think is worth about $4500....estimate from body shop to repair is $3500 and insurance company "thinks" the actual cash value of the car is $3200 so they just want to total it out and pay us the 3200 minus our deductible of $500.

I am thinking we could get the body shop to do just "necessary" repairs to get the car working and screw the superficial/cosmetic damage for something a bit LESS than 3K, and the last thing I want to do is go car shopping during a pandemic.

I have to be an intermediary between body shop and insurance company and hope we can agree to get the car fixed somehow.

Suggestions?
I guess the question is how much will it cost to get it road worthy and after it's repaired will it be serviceable long enough to justify the expense. It's up to you, really. Some people might tell you the car isn't worth anything but if it does what you want it to and the looks/age doesn't bother you then it's worth it to you.

My old Blazer broke the timing chain and I had it towed to the shop and my boss was shocked that I was going to fix it. (It was no big deal, really), but he just thought it was such a piece of crap nobody would want to fix it. I think I drove it for 4 or 5 years after that.