Old 08-11-20, 06:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
They get mad that I pull so hard when I get to the front. Which I now know is frowned upon. They have let me go off on my own multiple times. So I think sprinting would be a bad idea.

We recently got some new people in the group, and I’ll give the group credit they are really good at keeping everyone together. I’m the ass hole that’s always pushing it.
Different things altogether. Surging when you get to the front of a paceline is always going to be frowned upon, likewise if you're in a group with an agreed-upon pace. Town sign sprints are separate deal - you're usually talking 200 meters or so of all-out and the a regroup shortly thereafter while the sprinters catch their breath and those that sat out catch up.

Originally Posted by bampilot06
There another group I want to start riding with, but I have to get faster. There average speed on strava at the end of a 60 miler is usually between 21 and 23. I’m not close to that.
You should sit in with them sometime. Maybe you get dropped, maybe you don't. As flat as it is there, 21-23 in a group isn't blisteringly fast, but that doesn't tell the whole story, either. My guess would be that they'd have more frequent and much more intense surges - covering those would be the challenge, not sitting in at speed.