carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinganomaly
Will do!
I'd say that you don't need to match my numbers to start racing. While I am new to track, I've been racing road for a while, and am a cat.3 there.
Thanks! I think it will help new racers understand what's involved and not be intimidated.

Question: I noted on one video (the chariot race) that your speed was 2-4mph while you were just sitting there during the instructions. Are you using GPS to get your speed info? If so, I suggest that you switch to a wheel-based system. This will give you much more accurate info.

GPS data is fine on the road where anomalies are overwhelmed by so many data points in long rides. But, on the track when you have efforts as short as 10-13s, accuracy is important if you are training and monitoring progress based on this data. Also, GPS doesn't like oval tracks. It likes straight lines. When the signal is interrupted by clouds or whatever, it thinks that you may have traveled only a few meters when in fact you may have traveled hundreds and are back near the same spot. So, your metrics may be low.

Avg speed, max speed, avg cadence, max cadence, avg hr, max hr are all important when mining the data for insight into your performance.

Good data is a great coaching tool if you use it. Better than RPE and recounting what you think happened to your coach later in the week. Also, those numbers will help you empirically and objectively compare yourself to others when it's time to decide if you are gonna compete in a bigger arena (nationals, worlds, etc...)