View Single Post
Old 02-12-20, 05:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Usually what I do in this case (assuming my bucket 'o bolts has nothing) is go to my local Ace Hardware and hit the wall of hardware bins to find something that fits and jot down the details on the pitch. Then go to Amazon.com and order a thumb screw with the same.
In order to save, what, a dollar or two? Yeah, I've done the retail visit -> order online trick on items where I might save a significant chunk of money online. But a single thumbscrew like this will cost at most $2-3 retail. Hardly worth going back to order it, and having to wait for it, and wonder about the quality.

In my particular case, for something of that scale, I'm happy to patronize my local Ace. It's the definition of a neighborhood hardware store. Been around for close to 100 years, 75,000 items crammed into a space two neighborhood-style storefronts wide, aisles way too narrow for ADA, creaky uneven wood floor. Guys (not all guys) working there who acutally know where things are, and know what you might need. The old black dog sleeping at the end of the counter died a few years ago. I'm happy to spend money there now and then, just to help keep them viable. Bonus -- they participate in Bicycle Benefits, 5% discount on just about anything I buy there. That often makes their prices competitive with (and sometimes better than) online.

Another on-topic case in point - Testors paints for frame touch-up. The local ACE has a modest selection, but they can get anything you want. If we find a color we _think_ is a match for a particular job, and order online, and it's doesn't look right when it gets here, returning it is a PITA. If we order through ACE, stop by the store when it arrives, and we decide it's not a go, it's just a no-sale.

Ooops, way TMI. Short version - just match it up at the local hardware.
Likes For madpogue: