seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer
I definitely don't intend to ride drop bars. On the contrary, I want something like flat bars because I want the better control.

I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions. I'm only wondering if the one hand position flat bars offer is enough, or do you "need" alt mtb bars for more hand positions.
Bar ends make "flat bars" (most have 2-8 degree bend back towards bicyclist) tolerable for many tourists. I still use Cane Creek bar ends because they allow one to rotate hands/wrists/forearms to a more comfortable position than the standard flat bar grip, without requiring a more forward, further-reach posture of typical bar ends. Bar ends are a pretty easy/cheap alternative to a flat handlebar.

There are dozens of handlebars besides the usual flat, riser, drop or trekking (Nitto, Soma, VO). Evaluating an alternate bar is often a fraught, costly process one should try to avoid unless all else fails, as there are usually reach and bar height changes to consider/correct, and new brake levers, shifters, stem, cable+housing, etc may be required.