Old 04-20-20, 11:17 AM
Yonah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't remember having a bike stolen. I do remember Bike Thefts being common in Brooklyn, NY in the 70s and 80s. The NYPD offered a free service where they would etch a serial number on your bike in case it was stolen so they could identify it and return it to you if it was ever recovered. They'd etch the frame and the wheels. Two of my friends bike thefts stood out:

- One of my friends had his BMX stolen when we were in Middle School. His dad was a cop, and not surprisingly it was found within a week.
- Another friend had his bike stolen in HS from right in front of our building. He had a u-lock on his frame and removed front wheel, and would regularly park and lock it against a parking regulation sign in front of our building. One day two guys came over and started removing the sign. People in the building saw it, and assumed that they were city employees that were updating the sign - until they lifted the bike + u lock over the signpost and left the signs on the sidewalk. He never got that one back.
Likes For Yonah: