Old 05-19-20, 02:48 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Hopefully not throwing this post onto a total rabbit trail... What do you do if your right and left power measurements are off? Single leg drills? I think most of us are asymmetric as far as our muscles are concerned (i.e., I'm right handed so I favor my ride side which is noticeably stronger.) Unless I plan on somehow correcting the asymmetry, I'm not sure it matters if I know it's there(?)
The reason it matters is because the asymmetry can change depending on output. So if you’re on rolling terrain, you might see your power output jump on steeper sections because you crossed threshold torque. Instinctively, you’ll shift down, but then your power reading will drop like crazy and you’ll find yourself doing 400W when the target was 180. Ask me how I know.

There’s not much evidence that I know of to suggest that you should try to correct it, especially if the asymmetry goes away at higher efforts. If you’re well below threshold, your body doesn’t really fatigue any quicker using one leg way more than the other - you’re just burning fat. In fact it’s probably more efficient (because otherwise you wouldn’t be doing it).

Last edited by smashndash; 05-19-20 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For smashndash: