I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Lol this almost sounds like Texas.
We moved in a brand new office building last year which has covered bike parking in the parking garage, a gym with locker rooms and showers and is connected to a bike trail. It is just perfect for riding the bike to work. But out of around 500 employees there are only about 3 or 4 of us commuting by bike. I don't have to emphasize that I ride my bike to work. Many people know. Some think I am crazy, some are jealous because they live too far away and many others are too afraid of riding because of the ignorance of vehicle drivers here. Commuting by bike is still a foreign concept for many folks here. But hopefully this will slowly change over the next years.
How's the commuting in Plano?

Except for some inner parts of Houston, this city has dangerous bicycle commuting opportunities. If I were to ride to my office, I would have to ride through a industrial corridor with freight trucks.

Years ago, the city put in bicycle lanes on two of the roads that go by the office I'm employed at. The trouble is the city just painted the lanes without widening the roads*. Which means that roads that could barely fit two freight trucks side by side before, had the lanes reduced to make room for a bike lane on either side. The roads have concrete curbs and no shoulders, so there is no where to run off to in a hurry when freight trucks come up from behind.

Needless to say, the bicycle traffic on these roads is sparse at best.

*4 lane road sized for freight trucks became 4 lane road with two bicycle lanes.

Last edited by FiftySix; 06-20-19 at 07:05 AM. Reason: detail