Old 05-01-17, 08:06 PM
BigWil

Bikes: 2017 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyk76
Welcome to the forum. Giant is a good brand and has a variety of bikes that can suit your needs. Being as tall as you are is going to put you in the XL size for pretty much everything you ride with maybe having to change your stem/headset and seat post depending on how they fit. I'd probably look at the Giant Roam since it's designed to handle road and trail. Specifically the Roam 2 since it is at the top of the quality offerings, but gives you money left over for the other things you need. They have 5 different models that will vary in price with better components at the higher prices, but all will meet your needs. Test ride at your LBS, have them help fit the bike to you, and then order. You won't regret it. Since your LBS sells Giant, I'd stick with what they sell and can support...ONLY because there are so many brands, styles, etc. that you can get lost in the search. I know because I've just gone down this path and I now have more options than I know what to do with. You're going to get so many other recommendations now it may make your head spin.
I'm definitely leaning towards the Roam 2 at this point. I stopped by the LBS today, but it was pouring rain. I didn't care, but they sure did.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Think of all the weight you'll lose.

In general stay away from the big box stores for bikes. A challenge for you (at 6'6") is to find a bike that fits. Your weight isn't really pushing the limits of normal bikes, but keep an eye on the wheels - if they're not true and tensioned right they'll degrade quicker than they should.

See if the bike shop has any last year models or close outs. Chances are they won't have any in your size, but maybe.

Priority #1 is a bike that fits, and the bike shop should be able to help you with that. Even the cheapest (name brand) bikes will work fine if they're set up properly and kept in tune.
I won't lose that much weight...trust me. 14 weeks of basic training only got me down to 220. They don't seem to have much from last years line. The LBS guys were knowledgeable. Walmart/Canadian Tire staff are useless, and Sport Chek didn't care enough about bike riders to carry basics like lights. The LBS also provides 3 years free service on any bikes you buy there, so that's a distinct advantage.

Originally Posted by Buzzmeister
Previous posters are right on track, in my opinion. I'm still married after buying some fairly high end bikes - I just always make sure the Mrs. has the most expensive bike in the garage! Best wishes!
I tried that, but 5/8s (Better Half) isn't interested in a bike right now.