Old 01-19-19, 01:40 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You are right, but why don’t you accept the point you yourself make about the manufacture of bikes? They are emissions/resources expensive, which was my point. You could also add that electric bikes, while they certainly improve locan emissions, are overall more harmful. If you want to keep things at that local level, then bikes+veganism is the only way to go.

Whether that is a realistic way to go is dubious. Having just returned from Vietnam, which is a lovely country by the way, you see that the bikes of the French/Key/Ho Chi Minh era have been replaced by motorbikes and scooters. That in some ways is fair enough - after decades of war and still suffering from the effects, the Vietnam deserve time - but it would be nice if the US, Australia, most of Europe could spend money on researching and solving the problem that is killing the planet. You could argue that it is too late, but we humans tend to be optimists, even if, in this case, there’s a chasm between the reality and the optimism. Yes, it is great if the amount of cyclists increase in your country by any amount per year, but how many give up their vehicles, or minimise their use, or take public transport as an altermative? I tried for many years, and that included not taking aircraft for many years, but that is an atom in the ocean.

That is why I find some comments on this thread offensive. If that is incorrect, soit. There are cases where hiding from the reality are not appropriate.