horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am glad the issue of age and intervals was corrected before I had to get involved. But I am here to suggest that everyone who can get under heavy iron on a regular basis and build muscle and strength that will provide benefits both on and off the bike. If one cannot or will not consider weight training then I offer the suite of bodyweight strength moves collected under this umbrella site. A person, regardless of age, that progresed to completion of any or all of these programs would assuredly have excess capacity in just a few months. Excess at age 60 is going to one day be 'adequate' at an age when most around you will, if they are still alive, won't be doing much of anything.

Knees: I baby mine too. Poverty keeps me from finding out exactly what is wrong with them and what might fix it. The squat program has been very useful in strengthening the muscles around the knee and this is helping. A lot. These knee compression sleeves are recommended while squatting but they are inhibiting on the bicycle. I have cycled the 1/2 mile home from the gym with them but that's about the limit. Good luck.
It's good you have found a nice balance. I have avoided conventional strength training for many years because of a herniated L5 disc. Cycling has always been about cardiovascular health for me. I'm now having shoulder movement restriction due to advancing arthritis (right arm). Seriously considering surgery later this year. I'm sure there will be neck issues to address as well.

At any rate, I think some strength training is in order. I will check out the bodyweight pages.Thanks for the link.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports