zepphead80
nutella junkie

Bikes: Cannondale Criterium C600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyb0b115
Being new to cycling, this is my first winter season. Weather dropping to mid 40s-50s (I know... I don't have it as bad as others). I'm also recently unemployed so I've been trying to be as cost efficient as possible. Some stuff I know I must put out the extra $$$ for better quality (learned the hard way).

As I was reading through the thread I did see quite a few sites, but some still too expensive for me. What's a good site to purchase winter gear on a budget?
Everyone has great points here.

If you do other activities, I'll say it again...target your buying to accommodate multiple activities. I also run and backpack. For backpacking I invested in a lot of SmartWool (socks and shirts) - which have also become integral to my winter riding experience. SmartWool is expensive, but it will last. You can also wear it days on end without it smelling. Similarly, a pair of Nike running shorts that I bought was what I hiked in all summer, and with the addition of a pair of padded underwear from Nashbar...biked in all summer. Again, Nike isn't the cheapest option out there, but with all the use the shorts have seen they have not worn out one bit.

Truthfully, if you're riding in 40's and 50's there won't be that much specialized clothing required. You can get away with shorts in the 50's, and in the 40's put on a lightweight set of thermals under the shorts. Want cheap but good thermal tights? Check out the Heattech line from Uniqlo. I'm lucky to have access to two Uniqlo stores here in NYC, but you can probably find them online.