TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Idk, my stages was showing higher numbers than the powertap and my current P2M is likely reading lower.
I went from 325 last year on Stages to 270 this year on P2M with the same times lol. I was at 325 on the powertap years ago so I'd like to think the P2M is reading low but calculating from the climb near my house it's only maybe 20 watts low. At least it's consistent though!

But still, this wasn't supposed to be all about my lousy numbers, even if that's what gets me thinking about it. I'm not even trying to say sustained power/speed is ALL one needs, but it is the most important piece (of the fitness side), and is required to build the other parts on - if all one has is high FTP they can survive most races and even have a shot at getting away. For instance many guys I see around me in races. Sure I see them struggling on some super surgey parts but at least they aren't getting dropped. And they seem to able to play games patrolling the front quite well, even without positioning skills. If ALL someone has is a sprint, good luck even surviving. Some people are lucky if they ever see the front of the race, and then is it really racing, or just pack fill?

Gary makes a point about 5 minute power which has always been my best as well, and it definitely has helped me survive many sustained surges where my threshold just wouldn't cut it. but without the threshold power even a relatively good 5' might not be enough. If all the race is is surge and coast like with a hill or hairpin, you're gonna need high np, and while it may not exactly match FTP, it's definitely related. Without a good threshold you can't surge and coast as much (unless you are Hack who regularly rides np=115% ftp or so lol!).

I agree positioning/bike skills are also important, I personally would not survive without them, and while I'd rather not have guys around me get sketched out by normal stuff - I do see guys with good power and non-existent skills surviving and even getting away and helping control the race. The other way around doesn't work. Seems to take an average sized dude like me, matt, or rubiksoval mid to upper 200s np to survive and hide. More to work the front.
Seriously, the amount of FTP you actually need is not nearly as much as you appear to think you need, unless you're doing legit 15+ minute climbs all out. The ability to surge hard and recover over and over and over again is what wins races.