View Single Post
Old 04-24-11, 09:36 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Jim - I'm calling you out on that ^ So OK, you might not have pictures, but here is a You Tube Video with your Clarence White in action!

(Thar's some terrific talent in these here parts! )
Thank you, sir. You are too kind. (But we have been doin' it for quite a few years. That counts for something.)

Originally Posted by auchencrow
PS - Have you noticed how well loved every pre-war L-00 seems to be? (There's a reason for that!)
I know little about L-00s but I do know a bit about the dreadnaughts. The pre-war guitars used Adirondack spruce for the top. It was essentially a local wood source for Martin. In 1945 (I think it was) NY state declared the Adirondack region a park with the designation "Forever wild". That made harvesting timber illegal. With little fanfare Martin looked around for some other wood and settled on Sitka spruce from Alaska. It makes a good guitar but it doesn't ring like Adirondack spruce. Another difference is that Brazillian rosewood is an endangered species. Indian rosewood is good but it sounds different. Limited stocks of both Brazilian and Adirondack wood can be found occasionally, for example from blown-down trees due to storms or hidden away in some storage house. However there is no large supply of either. So the sound of those old guitars is hard to re-create in great numbers.