Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Also 5 years ago:

Originally Posted by carleton
Thanks for responding.

I'm working with a local fit expert (Specialized 3D fit) named Clovis Anderson (BRA) who also happens to be an Olympian in the sport of track. He was coached by Eddie B. Clovis came highly recommended and I can vouch that he really knows his stuff. But, he isn't my coach so I can't really bug him as much as I'd like.

I've lost some weight and increased my flexibility by focusing on both for the past few months. I've also moved to 165mm cranks after riding 167.5mm for the last 2 seasons. All of this has allowed me to adopt a lower riding position.

I recently had a fit where I asked him to put me in the sprint position that he'd to see me race in 2012. So he moved me from a 120mm, 0 degree stem, with 15mm stack to a 120mm, -17 degree stem, with no stack which moved my bars down 50mm and out 10mm. This definitely put me in the track sprint position which I could not comfortably maintain in the past. Similar to this:

(this is Matthew Crampton, not me)

I could not maintain it because I didn't have the flexibility or lower weight to do so effectively. I'd try it for a few sessions mid-season then go back to a much higher position that was more powerful. Now I'm making time to do this.

As you can imagine, my body is like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!".
I saw some immediate gains in fluidity with the shorter cranks...but also experienced lots of new fatigue. Sometimes I'll get off the rollers after only 10 minutes (this is rare, though). I do experience some unusually tight glutes after my rides. And my back is much tighter later in the evening at bedtime. It should be noted that I switched to 165mm cranks on my road bike, too, in order to speed up the adjustment process for neuromuscular work. I don't care about the loss of leverage for climbing or whatnot. My road bike isn't for road racing.

I have an SRM on the track bike. I haven't really put much stock into the numbers yet because I know that I'm going though an adjustment period...I just don't know for how long, haha.
So, I'm with you man. I was with you 5 whole years ago