Old 06-08-19, 06:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Bike prices are generally somewhat fixed. Most bike shop margins are relatively low, and most are already offering free maintenance and adjustments with new bike purchases. Much of their profit comes from the sale of parts and accessories, so it's probably unlikely for them to haggle too much with you on the price of a new bike.

Here's a picture of the frame clearance with 52-622 (29x2.1) WTB Nanos on my 2018 Roam. I've also had Schwalbe Hurricanes (50-622, or 29x2) on it, and those fit nice also (2nd picture). Just be aware that tires that are 12mm larger in section width/height will literally raise the bike up by that much, or about half of an inch. If the frame size you prefer is already tight with standover clearance, larger tires will make that even tighter.

I've since downsized the wheels on my Roam to 584mm (also called 27.5, or 650b). I've run as large as 2.2"/54mm tires on those wheels and the frame has plenty of clearance for it. So ultimately, I get a lot of tire without raising the bike up. And, because the overall diameter of a 54-584 is in the same ballpark as a 38-622, the bike rides about the same. It's a little lower to the ground, and standover is improved a little, but not by much. There is a big difference in comfort and traction with the wider tires. A BIG difference.

That's one reason I like the Talon for a new purchase. You can fit some fairly large section 584mm tires on it and not change the geometry or bike setup much. If you went with the Roam, I'd recommend fitting the larger tires and to just be mindful of frame size/standover, because standover height will increase with the larger tires.