View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 05:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I pulled the BB and took a few photos. There was a fair amount of crap inside the BB shell as the previous owner used body masking tape to cover the star cut out on the outside as well as inside during his restoration, he even clear coated over it. It looks like the interior of the tubes still have the protective coating and rust doesn't seem to be an issue. I did find a dent in the right chainstay that isn't present on my 84 Guerciotti SL so it will need to be replaced.

I'm going to shoot off a couple emails to two frame builders/painters and get a ball park idea what it'll take to bring the bike back. In the meantime, when I get time, I'll get an endoscope camera look inside the BB and hopefully between the mitered seat and down tubes where the crack would be. I'll also try the liquid test as well. The good news is I can't see any light coming from the BB shell to the outside and I don't see any evidence of witness marks on the tubes indicating there has been movement. Not 100% but certainly encouraging. I'm not budgeted for this kind of time or money right now and based on the seller's assurances I had no reason to think I'd have to be.

I was originally scheduled to drive down to GA and pick up the bike in person; a couple days before, the seller suggested Bike Flights as a better alternative for both of us. My gut told me no but I agreed after asking for and getting more pictures of the frame. The close ups he sent were of every place on the frame but the areas of concern, most notably the BB shell. Had I seen the bike in person I would have walked away, this is 100% my fault for not following my instincts. Right now my gut tells me to drive it to GA and get my money back but I'm not decided yet. I've gotten some great deals in the C&V world so even if this thing turns out badly it still doesn't diminish the overall experience of the hunt and chase. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Guerciottis hold a special place for me because I raced them, I'd probably go further than the next guy to bring one back. This one, given it's history and having actually talked with the guy who designed the colorway and jersey deserves to be put right and out on the road.

Last edited by nomadmax; 08-23-19 at 12:49 PM.