Old 09-06-20, 02:01 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Long legs and long arms do favor you being able to handle a larger frame. I've rode way too large frames for my size 5'-11" (180 cm) and 34.5" (87ish cm) legs. I just went from a 60 cm frame from 1991 to a 56 cm frame on a 2020 bike. And I have ridden for many years a 63.5 cm bike. All comfortable.

Smaller frames do have more potential to drop the bars low, but they come with a heck of a lot of spacers that have to be removed first to get low. So don't just look at stack, because it doesn't tell you where the bar/stem height is. Add another 30 mm or so if you can't find out that from the specs.

Also pay attention to what else changes from one size to the next. Crank length changes a lot on Specialized and I'm not a believer in the proportional crank sizing thing. I like short cranks. 165 mm. I don't feel like I'm thrashing when I ride at fast cadences.

Be sure you can shorten your reach enough on a larger frame. If it already comes with a short stem, then you might regret the bigger frame.

But as long as the cost of your new bike isn't a blow to your pocket book and you can easily afford another if this isn't the one, then get some first hand experience so you'll know what works for you.
Thanks for the reply. Very interesting to read that you have comfortably ridden a range of bike size, including bikes that are supposedly too large for you.

The Roubaix Sport 2020 size 61 I'm eyeing off comes with a 110mm stem and an offset seatpost, so I guess that leaves some room for reach adjustment. The differences between the 56, 58, and 61 don't seem that much...