Old 06-01-18, 10:59 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
It behooves a component company to make sure that whether their FDs go on a braze-on mount or need a band clamp, that both FDs will be in the same (or darn near same) location--or at the very least, the same lateral offset from the center of the seat tube--and suffer no performance or ease-of-setting-up loss. Again, there is no voodoo or mystic Italian knowledge needed to "get these right." For a braze-on FD to work on a bare seat tube, you'll need an adapter, of which there are many. Colors, styles, diameters, you name it. I've done this adapter stuff many times and have not had any problem with anything related to performance or setting up.

I am aware of Campagnolo's eventual de-contenting of their Ergo shifters--I failed to mention it because it is too much effort to lay out the numerous variations of Ergos throughout their history in a single post. If any Ergo shifter has a biiiiiig vertical slit on the inside of the hood (the small thumb shift lever will be at the top of it), that means it's a "full feature" (my term) shifter and you can dump the entire cassette in one throw (via the right shifter) or go from, say, the big ring on a triple to the smallest ring (via the left shifter, running through all the clicks).

If you want to continue this thread of thought, inquiry, and/or exploration, I implore you to start a new thread or do a Google search as there are likely threads and posts and articles detailing these things. Many will respond to a thread here. And please post pictures--they say so much, and take out a ton of guess work and extra written exchanges.

So, since this is a picture thread, I will get us back on that track with the most recent setup of my Prologue. 100mm quill stem this time (down from the 115mm Modolo quill and no-name conversion stem), with the Profile Design bars. It gets the gloss stem to match the gloss seat post, and now allows for non-funny-feeling/steering out of the saddle efforts as a set of bars cantilevered way out ahead of the headtube and front axle just feels wonky. Also, a 7900-era FD has been mounted (Shimano explicitly says to use a 7900 FD with a 7900 shifters due to pull ratios and geometry. They are not kidding, as previous efforts with older Dura-Ace FDs were a lesson in frustration and semi-reliable front shifting). The FD is a braze-on, and I am using an adapter. It works perfectly. I set my limit screws, then pulled the cable tight over the clamp, clamped it with a 5mm allen key, and it was set up. Zero fiddling. Simply wonderful!

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 06-01-18 at 11:04 PM.