Old 10-04-23, 03:22 AM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
AR46 is too narrow a front rim by modern standards. With an outer width of only 28mm, you're stuck with using a 25mm tire for optimal aero and to reduce crosswind effect. The Bontrager is better in that respect. A 28mm tire is also going to be a lot more comfortable, and work better if you run tubeless as you won't need to pump them up nearly as high a pressure.

OP, you're more than 50 lbs heavier than I am. I use a WR50/AR56 front/rear combo. They're extremely comfortable for me as I run a 32mm tire on the rear. The only downside is that the WR50 has an internal width wider than the new ERTRO standard says is safe to run 28mm tires. The Bontrager is again better there, since its internal width is narrower.

Lastly if you're going ahead with the LB rims, I've seen people lace the rears with CX Sprint spokes for better stiffness. CX Rays may be too flexy for heavier and more powerful riders.
Light Bicycle recommended a WR35 for the front which is 25mm inner and 32mm outer. This is not too wide to run a 30mm or 28mm clincher?? What is the new ERTRO standard?
​​​​​​
I am currently using a 30mm clincher on the front and 32mm clincher in the back. I'll either stick with that size or consider 28mm tires in the future.