Old 10-10-05, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The research I've read and the seminars I've attended that tell you to do the lifting FIRST say to do the lifting first regardless of training intensity. The method I outlined specifically to increase lactic acid in the blood by lifting first, then doing your aerobic exercise second is a strategy (again, REGARDLESS OF INTENSITY) to increase your advantage when exercising aerobically. Additionally, it would be a great idea if you plan to do a lower body cardiovascular activity to train upper body with the weights. But if you plan to do lower body weights and lower body cardiovascular activity, then do your weights first and cardio second to get the most positive effect. I'll just throw in this tidbit too- if you're pressed for time with your aerobic activity, and you want to maximize the caloric burning after exercise, do your aerobic activity at a higher intensity- ie: intervals or steady state riding would be good examples of types of higher intensity work. If you're not pressed for time, please... put together a good, sound strategic aerobic activity that works for the time you do have available.

There's a researcher that I really REALLY respect and admire that works out of a university out west- Dr. Len Kravitz. He always stays on top of all the research and puts together very good training programs after going through all the research. And I mean he goes through ALL the research. Then he tests them on his students just to be sure. Then he does the fitness community a HUGE favor by summarizing every article into one big article and gives examples from his own test studies. I just saw him this weekend, and he was awesome, as usual. He said we could take his papers and do whatever, since he retains control over all his publications, so I'll just post his paper as an example of what I'm talking about. For the sake of keeping people sane, I'll put it in the next post I do rather than include it in this post.

I don't think it's a bad thing to question other folks. That's how we get quality discussions. But I guess it always is better to give some kind of research we can all use to back up our assertions, right?

But I don't think our discussions have gotten off topic at all- we're still referring to the original posts. This isn't one of those "when good posts go bad" threads.

Koffee