View Single Post
Old 10-13-05, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Here's a sample eating plan I put in another thread:

Originally Posted by koffee brown
1) Breakfast needs to happen 100% of the time, but you know that.

2) You need to eat before you leave out. If you can't get the time, wake up 10 minutes earlier. If you make your breakfast the night before, then all you have to do is eat and run. You need those few extra carbs to get your carbohydrate burning going. Without it, you're going on 70% carbohydrate reserve depletion from sleeping overnight. You're running on pure endorphins, then you get to work and eat, and by that time, you're already lacking carbs, and you just made things go from bad to worse.

2) I wouldn't trust those granola breakfast bars. They may be higher in fat, but still lacking in carbs. You would have that feeling of fullness (satiety), but it wouldn't last. Try something that's lower in fat and higher in carbs. You need them. Carbs are your friend. Without them, you're going to be feeling pretty tired! Try something like bagals and that cereal that is lower in fat and higher in fiber for breakfast, and perhaps some yougart and half a bagal with a thin smear of fat free creme cheese (or peanut butter) and orange juice (100% fresh, not from concentrate). This is a for instance. It's slightly higher in calories, but also higher in fiber and has a higher glycemic index, so you'll end up digesting the food longer, which will keep your blood sugar levels up longer, and it will keep your energy levels higher overall.

For a midmorning snack, I'd suggest a bagal with a teaspoon of peanut butter, or some fruit that's lower on the glycemic index, such as an apple, prunes, or cherries. You can also add in an ounce of cheese. You can get the cheese prepackaged at the supermarket and grab a few to leave at work.

Lunch, again, you'll eat for the slow carb burn- eat a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with just a splat of a condiment, along with lettuce and tomatoes. Have a plain salad on the side and you can add in a few slices of carrots and some tomatoes and cucumber slices in the salad mix. You can also cut up another ounce of cheese and stick it in your salad or eat it straight.

Mid-afternoon, you can have a handful of peanuts, a piece of fruit, and a slice of bread (like pumernickel or whole wheat, or cracked wheat or something like that). That should keep you going until it's time for you to go home.

For dinner, have about 4 oz of meat (any type), some brown rice, some spinach (or another veggie dish), and a pasta dish (4 oz). You can have another piece of fruit if you want something sweet, or some raisins or something along those lines.

Cut out the soda, diet or not. It's a calorie waster and it rots your teeth anyway.

This is what I would hope you'd aim for.... it's a sample diet with enough carbs to get you through the day, but low in fat at all. It should keep your energy levels high throughout the day and going into the evening.

Koffee