Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DocSween
Newbie to this forum with a question:

I have a Trek 920.

... I love it. I sold my carbon fiber road bike a year ago because it was just sitting in the garage. So now I'm down to three bikes. ;-) ...

Ok, so anyway I had a kickstand mounted on the chainstay of my Trek. I failed to check on the bolts holding it it. They became loose. One of the bolts bent. The other broke off, leaving half a bolt in the frame. I took the bike to my LBS. They tried using an Easyout to remove the bolt from the frame. The Easyout broke off. So now I have a bolt broken off in my frame with an Easyout broken off in the bolt.

Any ideas on how I can remove the piece of bolt without messing up my frame?
Hahahahaha. What a nightmare. Worst case scenario. But I have good news for you....

I had the same thing happen to me on a brand new, freshly powder coated, expensive, magnesium, racing motorcycle wheel. I broke a brake rotor (defective ) bolt off. Drilled it, inserted the easy-out, turned, and SNAP. The was no other access than the front side, where I already tried. It would be a HUGE LO$$.

I called around and asked around among the racing folks, looking for suggestions for a remedy. Someone told me, "Just have it lasered out." I said, "What???". Unbeknownst to me, there is an industry for exactly that. Mostly for automotive engine applications, but a bolt is a bolt, and an easy-out is an easy-out. I found a place close to me and they lasered it out for $35.00. They let me watch. I gotta say, the precision of the machinery, jig, and process were fascinating. When finished, the cleaned up threads looked better than the factory threads.