Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I'd love to try crits. But, to be honest...I kinda chose cyclocross last year because I see it as being safer. I'm getting old enough (39), and have a 4 yr old, where the prospect of taking a header into a curb at 30mph and having a crankset lodged in my liver doesn't have the appeal it used to

I figure the worst that is going to happen in cross is I fall down in the mud and I sprain something.
Join us in the 33 racers forum if you are not there already. We have a few racers who do cross and everything else. I race road and track but do not do mass start road races or crits. I will do mass start hill climbs. I got my Cat4 road and track doing the requisite mass start racing and it is sufficient to allow me to compete in most any race. And I do structured sessions at the track and workout with the P/1/2s so I am not missing anything. Everyone has to handicap the risk factor in racing. My philosophy is do not pee in the other guys cheerio bowl by pointing out how risky his event is compared to yours. If one wants to race crits, then one accepts the risks and manages that risk with skill, practice and knowledge.