View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 12:13 PM
Wildcat445
El Gato

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Schwinn Hurricane (old)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Squid the Shill Puppet is back for a thread bump.

I've spent more time and miles experimenting with the pressure on my 35mm Compass tires. I'm down to 60 rear and 40 front. These tires are STUPID luxurious and they just keep freaking rolling.
OK, I totally blame you for my ca$h outlay last week.

About two years ago I came across a mention of these tires somewhere, which led to this thread you started in 2016. Last summer, mmmkay, I'm thinking of maybe possibly kinda sorta getting a set of tires for my ride. Only I wasn't sure of the size. And ouch, yeah, a little pricey. The bike came with 700C x 38s and I'd wanted to go larger, but didn't quite know how large I could get away with on 622-18 rims. The 55mm was too wide, but the 700C x 44 Snoqualmie Pass would work. For kicks, I borrowed the wheels/tires from my better half's bike that uses 650B x 2.3" tires and they actually fit within my frame, so clearance wasn't an issue.

So the Snoqualmie Extralights made their way to me, arriving this past Friday evening. Opening the package and unfolding (a first for me) the tires, I kind of laughed that they felt more like thick trash can liners than tires, and wondered how these floppy things could even function as a tire. They were rather easy to mount up and I got them properly settled on the rims. I started with 45 psi front and rear.

My first ride...yeah, OK, they do kind of glide over our crappy side streets nicely. And I think they're kind of easy to pedal. But after tweaking pressure a little lower in the rear and removing several PSI from the front (I think I'm around 35F/40R?), I gave them a bit longer ride the next day. I'm looking down at my rear tire. Looks half flat. Yet here I am rolling out towards the lake in a steady headwind at my normal average speed on a calm day. I'm also noticing I'm not losing as much speed coasting, and my return trip (wind at my back and very slightly uphill) was faster/easier than I was used to.

So needless to say, I'm sold on these tires. It made the ride much more pleasant on our long-beaten roads, and I wasn't feeling every pebble in the road as I was feeling with the Specialized Trigger Sport tires at 100 PSI that came with the bike. And apparently all this cushy goodness with less rolling resistance. My only worry is bottoming out on some of our bumps here, but that never happened yet at these lower pressures. Once I get my daily driver back with the trailer hitch, I can load up and head for the rail trails and give these tires a workout.
Likes For Wildcat445: