View Single Post
Old 12-11-20, 06:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Perhaps you can expound on what you mean when you say that using Vehicular Cycling Techniques "works." Riding on the sidewalk or the shoulder of the road sometimes "works"; riding while not following every traffic law also "works" quite well in many cases.

What documentation can you cite that demonstrates that any population of cyclists using identified Vehicular Cycling Techniques "fare better" than any other similar (age and location, at least) populations of cyclists, by any safety metric (or any other measurable metric.)

Perhaps you should review this essay: Listening to Bike Lanes: Moving Beyond the Feud
Chapters 4 and 5 are particularly relevant to discussion of John Forester's promotion of his Vehicular Cycling Program and the proprietary "educational" materials as well as addressing what techniques are or are not included the definition.
Chapter 4 Chapter 4, Bicyclist Behavior 1 The Ideal: Vehicular Cycling
Chapter 5 Chapter 5 Bicyclist Behavior 2 The Real: How Bicyclists Actually Behave (and how hard that is for some of us to accept)

I have to say that I find it ironic that the only way to get any action going on the VC thread was to bait me and another poster by claiming we're somehow closet supporters of "VC techniques" , whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

But, here's what I think you're onto. All this training nonsense has the hallmarks of rent-seeking --dubious "scientific" claims for its efficacy, overstating the dangers to "untrained" riders, and false claims of expertise that can be shared . The miniscule numbers of people who actually get the training and the lack of any government looking at making such training mandatory makes it obvious that this is a failed strategy.

Speaking of failed strategy, pretty obvious that the LAB at one time was looking at trying to be a mass interest group along the lines of the NRA. Gun training was a vital part of what attracted large numbers of people to the NRA in the first place. This strategy hasn't worked for the LAB as almost no one wants or thinks they need a bike safety course.

What fraction of 1% of cyclists actually get "safety trained" anyway?