View Single Post
Old 02-03-21, 12:29 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Man, this is a toughie. I do like that hue of green-blue, especially in cromovelato form. The Serotta polka dots is a bit inane. Unique and original, for sure, but not attractive to me. Best leave it original like "custom graphics" (aka sponge painted or air brushed) Cannondales of yore. The Raleigh has earned its (wear) stripes. I remember seeing it as a frameset when you first got it. Not pristine, just like the brazing during its construction (if I read everyone's anecdotes correctly).

I like celeste. The non-originality of the paint on the Bianchi makes it easy to change color. How much you like it determines powder coat or paint. The Raleigh would need re-chroming and then powder coating and painting. We know that's not cheap. How in love with the ride, handling, and features are you? It seems down to the Bianchi and Raleigh. Assuming you have a dialed in celeste color choice in powder coat, that's the easiest, cheapest, and quickest solution to the "which finish do I upgrade?" conundrum.

As @gugie mentioned, there are many 57cm fish in the sea, as opposed to 65cm+ fish in the sea. I am by no means downplaying or disrespecting your premise. I like a pretty bike that's fun to ride as the next guy. I've been working my brain over a possible Minnesota-located 1985 Trek 670 (labeled a 660), 1 of 100 in 25.5" that year. Ditch the semi-scraped up faux celeste in favor of a powder coated candy red metallic. A $700-750 frameset after PC and decals, and that's only if I like how it rides. Talk about a long shot proposition. But hey, I want my fit, my tall-enough frame, and my long-trail geometry, and custom is, at present, the next/only way to get it otherwise.

I'll put a vote in for PC'ing the Bianchi.