View Single Post
Old 02-10-21, 10:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
- it isnt ridiculous that Specialized spec'd a saddle that isnt comfortable. Everyone's butt is different and your complain is another person's heaven. This is why there are so many different saddle shapes and sizes- a manufacturer won't know what each person needs. Its also why saddles on bikes under $2k are often not too expensive- why waste the money on a product thst so many people buy specific to them.

- based on your bike's geometry in my size, yes the riding is more upright compared to a typical drop bar road bike. But it isnt as upright as a beach cruiser.

- nobody here knows which brooks saddle is best for you, but that won't stop people from giving opinions. Just like you are miffed about a random stock saddle not fitting, we have no idea which brooks will fit you.

- I love the Cambium series and have C17 saddles on my main road bike and my gravel bike. They have never shown to wear the seat or legs of my big shorts. Its been years so I dont expect anything to happen soon either. My saddles are the old cotton top and I dobt have experience with the current waterproof top so that may be different.
But hey- don't get one if you like something else more. Thats the beauty of saddles, there are so many options so each of us can find what we like.

- you want a single rail saddle. Brooks single rail is for microadjust seatposts, which is what you have. Its called single rail because there is a single rail on each side of the saddle for a total of 2 rails. Confusing, I know.

- total wild guess, but get the b17. The springs of a 67 are just heavy and really not needed for a fitness bike like you have. A b17 will have some flex to it once its broken in, but suspension on a fitness bike or road bike is best to come from quality tires at proper inflation.

- be prepared for the brooks saddle, no matter which you pick, to be hard and unforgiving at the start. You need to work it in for it to feel better. Also, be ready to jack the nose of the saddle up to a comical angle. Its common for leather brooks saddles, especially the b17 and similar designs, due to the hammock style design. Some have it set at such an angle its like they are preparing for a proctology exam.
For what its worth, a c17 is designed to be comfortable right away and be set up in a flat neutral position.

- find a brooks dealer near you and go try them in the store. Have your sit bones measured while you are at it. A shop near me that sells brooks has loaner models for you to take home and try.
If you don't like the saddle you try first, don't get insulted with Brooks- they have no idea what your butt looks like.