View Single Post
Old 08-30-19, 10:37 AM
Erik XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I worked at at a CCM bicycle dealership during the early 1970s bicycle boom, first as mechanic and later as the manager. The bicycle boom went bust in 1975 and I left at the end of the season to return to school. However, I continued to follow CCM and through my contacts managed to acquire much of the literature through to their demise.

While I do have the 1979 literature, it came in folder of loose sheets and the Corsa XL, along with a couple of others, is missing. However, I do have the dealer price lists for both 1978 and 1979. According to these, the Corsa and Corsa XL were not offered concurrently. The Corsa was 1978 and the Corsa XL was 1979. I suspect what happened was that CCM had leftover stock of the 1978 Corsa and were clearing them out in 1979. When your dealer placed the order, they had probably run out, forcing him to accept a Corsa XL. However, your recollection of the dealer pricing suggest a 1981 model, when it was $158.90 or $161.90 for a 25" model. In 1979 it was only $138.00.

Regarding the Tour de Canada, they were a fairly good seller but few survive. Most were bought by dealers and stripped for the Campagnolo components, as dealer cost on a TdC was less than buying a group though Shields. Those who did buy the TdC typically stripped the decals, to avoid the ridicule of being seen riding a CCM, even if it was the top model. On paper the TdC looked good but that impression weakened in person and suffered even more after riding. The decals were cheesy. The workmanship was competent but showed cost concessions. The Universal 68 brakeset was only passable. The gearing was far too narrow and low, being junior class compliant. The frame rode soft and unresponsive in comparison to other high end models. Still, it was the best price in a Reynolds 531DB frame with Campagnolo Nuovo Reecord (less brakes), with the exception of the Favorit. If you are a CCM collector, it would be a desirable model, behind a Flyer or Flyte. However, if you're just want a high grade bicycle there are better values and easier acquisitions to be had.
Hmmm.
Interesting. You do have some great info. Thanks for sharing that. If you don't mind me asking, what caused the bust of the market in 1975? There always seemed to be plenty of mainstream 10 speeds around in my youth.

I don't suggest that the dealer was anything but totally honest with me, but....
What would the margin have been on a bike like that in that era? I should check if I still have the receipt for it somewhere. Would be interesting to see. I do recall the store being on the north side of Steeles, just west of Yonge.

The TdC is just a fun thing I'd like to collect. I know that there is a lot better bikes out there. But it's a piece of its time, and the name, and that it was made locally, do have some value to me. I'm not that serious a rider anymore, so I could just enjoy it for what it is. Though I would want the original stickers!

Interesting about the stigma around CCM ownership at the time. I suppose I was too young for it. CCM was in my age group a step above the beginner bicycles, if a step below the silly expensive European bikes, though the bikes j would have considered silky expensive then would be seen as silly cheap now. Don Mills at the time was joyously middle class. A made in Canada CCM would not have been frowned upon then.

I will have to dig up the 1979 brochures at some point. Not an easy task, I realize. I'd love to know the actual weight difference between the Corsa and the Corsa XL. It was most certainly noticable, and it did ride a lot better. Be interesting to know what they quoted as an official weight difference.

What you said about moving out leftover product certainly makes sense. They did tool up a 1979 style sticker for it, but that wouldn't have been an expensive thing to do, to make it look like the current model.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what a nice shape TdC would fetch nowadays? Just curious to know where the market is for them now.

Once I get my Corsa XL back, and start restoring it, I'll certainly chime in with what I find there. Aside from the front forks, it is all original. Maybe weigh it too, to figure out how Extra Light it is! I'm sure I'll spend way too much in it to make it right again, but no one has ever said nostalgia was cheap.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience. It's very much appreciated by this CCM fan.