View Single Post
Old 08-30-19, 05:57 PM
Erik XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The 1979 literature does not specify a claimed weight. In fact, I can't recall CCM ever specifying weights. Their specs were typically very generic. You were luck y to get them to spec a derailleur by make and model. Based on the differences I see, I suspect it was 1-2 lbs. That's enough to be noticeable but not what I'd call a big difference.

I don't know what margins were at the time, but during the peak of the boom it was 33% at our shop. Some greedy dealers charged more. After the boom went bust, some dealers may have lowered margins, in an attempt to move stock. Shops survived mostly on repairs and after-market sales, where the mark-up was typically 100%.

TdC prices could vary substantially, depending on condition and where you live. You should be able to find one good condition for as low as ~$350. Excellent condition, in T.O. would be in the realm of $750, maybe higher. They don't surface often, so there are few benchmarks. I've seen maybe a handful that have surfaced in the past decade and only one with OEM decals. I don't know of anybody who makes decal for them.

I don't know the reasons for the crash in 1975. Bicycles were still selling but at about 50% of the 1972-1974 peak. Many dealers had placed 1975 orders based on their 1974 sales and were left with excess stock at year end. I suspect the crash was simply a case of market saturation during those 3 years.

There was definitely a stigma about owning a a CCM for the teenage and young adult age category. Based on my observations, it was part of the counter-culture movement of that era (i.e. don't rust anybody over thirty or big corporations). It was a case where CCM's brand reputation actually hurt them, as there were viewed as "big business". The new shakers in the industry, such as Peugeot, were even bigger but the average consumer didn't realize their size. Also being European, they were viewed as being more liberal than North American companies. Consequently, the teenagers and sub-thirty year old consumers with their own discretionary income bought European or Asian.

Conversely, the 30+ crowd remembered World War II first hand and were fierce nationalists. They bought Canadian. But they were also leery of the complexity of derailleur equipped bicycles and their being a fad. Consequently, they tended towards 3 speeds and when they bought 10 speeds for children your age, they gravitated towards the least expensive model. Both factors made the CCM Turismo and subsequent Targa big sellers but they were the only CCM lightweights that sold in appreciable quantity. There was probably even higher loyalty to CCM in metro T.O., due to the proximity to the factory.

Once you get your bicycle back, the serial number will end all the mystery about the exact age.
Thanks again.
I'm, oddly, typing this note on the site of the old CCM plant in Weston. Sad that nothing is left of it. Their should at least be a plaque or something. Toronto sucks in preserving its history.

Not to argue with your insight, but it sure did seem notably lighter then the other bikes. I can't see how 1 or 2 pounds would have impressed so many of my friends when I got it. 5-10% doesn't seem like enough to gain the admiration of a bunch of kids. Once I have it on hand, I will certainly dig up the serial number, and weigh it.

Thanks for the price ideas of the TdC. Definitely in the range I'd like to pay. Plus some budget for refurbishment and restoration. Any thoughts on where to start the hunt? I'm guessing a wanted ad might work better then spending the next 20 years waiting for one to pop up.

Any thoughts on the Silver Ghost? Seems that was a nice bike for its time too, though I don't remember too much of it.

While I don't recall a stigma attached to CCM, I do remember that Peugeot and Raleigh having a mystique the others didn't. Those were the bikes of the monied elites, or at least so it seemed at that point. My impression is that they were $400-500 bikes, and up. Does that seem fair?

When you speak of CCMs lightweights, where do you draw the line between those and more regular bikes?

Thanks again!