Thread: Bike computer
View Single Post
Old 07-13-20, 08:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
New to Mountain Biking, I have been using my Apple Watch to track basic data using the included cycling app, it maps the ride, mileage, elevation, time, calories, heart rate, basics that are pretty good considering it's included with the watch. It would be nice to be able to plan a route and be notified if I'm off route, directions etc, can that be done on an Apple Watch or iPhone? I'm a little hesitant to put an iPhone on my bike (do people actual put phones on mountain bikes?).

Thanks
Yes, lots of folks use a phone. There are a lot of mounts on Amazon that do a very good job of keeping the phone on the bar. Free apps like TrailForks, RideWithGPS, etc... can track a ride and give some navigation. Issue with Nav. is how well is the mapping on the trail systems you frequent. TrailForks gets its trail network from folks who rode the trails then upload the completed rides and in some areas not every trail has been uploaded. That can in turn, cause errors in Turn-By-Turn directions, especially when at a junction with a trail that the TF map is not aware of. In that case the GPS will at
East show you your location.

A couple of posts up lists some of the issues using a phone.