Old 04-17-21, 05:35 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
When I see those early guys riding on huge rocks it always impresses me. We used to go out on smooth singletrack and think we were doing something special.
I started mountain biking in the early 90s and the bikes back then kinda sucked. My first real MTB was a rigid 1992 Cannondale SM700. 2.1x26 tires with no grip. Ridiculously stiff frame and aluminum fork that beat the hell out of you. Narrow little bars not much wider than a road bar. Giant saddle always in the way. Pedals with toe clips, very tricky to get into on any trail. Brakes that didn't really work. Riding smooth singletrack WAS a challenge on that thing. Anyone nostalgic about riding vintage mountain bikes on trails needs to actually give one a try, they sucked for their intended purpose. One thing I will grant them, old mountain bikes are very durable and useful as hybrids/recreational/utility bikes. Just don't take them offroad.
Likes For Hiro11: