Old 05-07-17, 08:18 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt
Way to much money for what you are getting. Also you would blind everyone coming at you . The light isn't focused so it scatters everywhere. Last thing you want is to blind cars coming at you . They will turn on their high beams which could blind you and if a car were to pass you in your lane as a car comes from the opposite direction it could possibly cause an accident if the on coming car were to flash their high beam . Just my opinion for what its worth.
I believe the lamp has different modes so you don't have to run the full 400 lumen output if you feel it's too bright. Keep in mind the full output would be more appropriate when the sun is still quite visible. Personally I don't think it would blind people who are passing in cars but it could be looked at as an annoyance if stopped at a light ( with the lamp set on high ). This is why I wish lamps with this much output offered wireless remotes so you could tone them down when at traffic lights.

For a lamp offering 400 lumen of bright/wide output, I don't think the $75 pre-order price is over-kill. If you compare it to other high output rear lamps like the DiNotte Quad Red, the quad red is $160 and is only 200 lumen. My Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 ( last year when first released ) was about $50. If you look at the array of other higher output lamps out there I don't think you would still consider the Orfos Pro over priced.

Keep in mind the rules for "What's too bright for road use", is being rewritten everyday. More and more I'm seeing cars, buses, emergency vehicles...using more brighter LED type lamps ( front and rear ). Most of those are way brighter than what most people will use on a bike. Truth is, in a handful of more years you will need at least a 100 lumen rear lamp just to get noticed. The people who use those pitiful weak rear lamps might as well leave the damn things home. No one can even see one of those now unless you ride in the boonies.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 05-07-17 at 08:26 PM.