Old 10-31-17, 08:57 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by TXSS
I think it is worth pointing out that this is 400 lumens from 40 LEDs, no reflector and no real lens. I think I'd opt for 100 lumens from 1 LED that has a reflector and lens to make sure the light is traveling a good distance behind me.
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I'm inclined to agree with you. I very much like my Cygolite Hotshot 150 Pro which does exactly as you said. Regardless a lamp like the Orfos has it uses as it would be much more visible at higher off-set angles. This would make it more useful once a vehicle is closer to the bike. Still, we're talking about a lamp with a much higher output. I'm sure that when in a mode 200 lm or greater that the Orfos is going to be very visible at distance.
The Orfos needs a usb power bank battery and cable. That's an interesting idea for backpackers that might be bringing a power bank to recharge a phone, etc. The wide flood light would work great for this, if you could dial it way down in brightness.

It's unfocused headlight won't be too great at speeds much over 15 mph, either.

Yes -- for a tail light, the Hotshot 150 has a lot of advantages over this Orfos light: (see my review here.)
1. self contained, easy to mount on the bike.
2. waterproof! a usb system wouldn't be waterproof.
3. directed light beam -- for daylight use, even in sunlight. The 150 has a pretty wide beam, lighting up a 4 lane road at maybe 70 feet back. And the 180 degree spill light is bright for cars closer than that. It makes a bright pool of red light on the road, too.
4. reasonably long run times: at least 15 hours at 2-per-second single flash -- very noticeable in daytime. USB rechargable.
5. always on the bike, ready if needed.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-31-17 at 09:05 AM.