View Single Post
Old 11-08-19, 07:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
A few thoughts and overheard guidelines.

Is the size of a fillet the length along a tube's surface or from the tubes' corner to the concave point closest (this "thickness" of a fillet called the "root" size by some)?

I have read of a 3X dimension for a weld fillet to be as strong/still as the tubing is, as in 3 times the tube wall. But is this also for brass fillets? Is this a "root" or a tube surface dimension?

For bonded joints I have read of figuring out the interface surface which will be bonded and do the math with the bonding agent's tensile strength. Compare to the tubing strength.

I have always considered a lug to be of massive over design when it refers to a socket depth/tube strength relationship. While the long and sexy lines of a well done long point can be intoxicating, add cuts outs and watch out, the brief skimp of a bikini line can be breath taking. Andy