Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Except for the fact that I've got a constant trickle down my throat from my sinuses. I choke on that when I accidentally inhale it. I choke more when I drink water ... I have to be sitting bolt upright when I drink water. I choke in the night when the trickle pools and trickles into a lung. And when I'm breathing hard, it seems like there's even more trickling down my throat for me to choke on. I choke about once a day on average.

Apparently that's not normal ... but it is quite common for someone with a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates.

But yes, I've been told many times to breathe through my nose when I cycle except maybe when I'm climbing a hill or going hard. I've never been able to breathe through my nose when exercising. I've often wonder how that's possible.

Even just sitting, I need to breathe heavily through my mouth every now and then to kind of catch up.
The trickle thing sounds really bad. I have a little of that, especially at night. Have you tried a neti pot? I don't put any chemicals up my nose if I can help it. They seem to do the opposite of helping. But salt water is nice.