View Single Post
Old 04-15-21, 12:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Sounds like our girls are like minded.

I have a niece that was a scholarship soccer player at a D1 school in Illinois. She quit and gave up her scholarship after just one year because with the sports commitment could not keep up her grades or enjoy life. She's now an engineer. My daughter learned from her, and wanted a "college experience" (football games, boyfriend, and good grades) so decided to just play recreationally while in school. She does have her name on a plaque in UT's main gym because her sorority volleyball team won the intramural championship her senior year. She's now a CPA with one of the Big 4.
Sounds like your daughter found a good path - nIce Glad your niece found her way, too.

So much of club/travel sports pushes the idea that playing the sport at the highest level is the goal. That works for some kids, but not everyone. We have learned along the way that D1 athletes tend to be athletes first, and then try to make school fit around the program. Often, the academic paths available to a D1 athletes are limited. My daughter wants a little bit more flexibility and a less-regimented experience. There is a local D3 that has recruited the SS on her team, my daughter has also caught the coach's attention. It might end up being a good place for her. She loves the environment of OR and WA, so she's looking at schools in that area, too. Playing D2 or D3 will also increase the likelihood that she will not spend a lot of time on the bench, which also appeals to her.