N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I'd be glad to see a Flipping 101.
1-tricks and tips for a quick and cheap physical turnaround.
2-when to fold 'em, or hold 'em.
3-how do folks like BBM turn them around so quickly and so nice looking? stuff like that.
1) buy bikes that are all ready in better shape. That can mean more expensive newer road bikes, but they can sometimes be a hard sell. The easiest for a quick turn around with minimal effect is part it out and put the parts up on Ebay or CL.
2) A bike that is a mix match of previous owner upgrades I part almost all of those out. A few of those I parted out the nice parts and then rebuilt using parts bin parts for an easy $100-150 bike and a quick sell. But, if you live in a northern climate HOLD EM' until spring then that first stretch of nicer weather in Feb./March/April put them up on CL. Normally, I sell the normal flippers throughout the warmer months than when winter hits I start listed the nicer high end vintage parts I have been stashing throughout the year on CL, Ebay, and the vintage emails lists (CR and Bob lists).
3) The turn around time is something I tend to have a problem with. I can get them to be perfectly functioning and looking their best, but that takes time. For me working in a bike shop for 8+ hours a day during the busy summer months I don't want to go home and work on more bikes for a couple more hours before bedtime. I would rather get to ride some personally. I am trying to use this time in the winter to finish up all of my long outstanding projects to be ready when spring hits here in the mitten state.