Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
[left]
Originally Posted by tandempower
Of course I listen very carefully and try to understand other POV's. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them, though, necessarily.

True, I enjoy the idea of a free world where people can sit and rest and sleep wherever they go without bothering others, the environment, or getting harassed by others. It is only trespassing if you are bothering others. If I have to go bribe people everywhere I go for them not to get bothered and harass me to leave, I might as well just not travel. Even if a hotel or campground is set up in a way that makes it not seem like bribing the people there not to harass you, I still know in the back of my mind that that is the underlying dynamic of it, so that casts a little shadow on it for me and causes me to only want to travel when I can't avoid it.

If you think people should park share bikes/scooters somewhere they won't bother anyone, that is you 'should' perspective. We all have 'should' perspectives, even if we feel we shouldn't use the actual word, "should," to express them.

Congratulations on achieving a relatively small carbon footprint. Carbon re-absorption is a different thing, though. You can generate zero CO2 but all the pavement and buildings and absent trees+ecology are inhibiting the re-absorption of CO2 into the deep carbon cycle that feeds new fossil fuels into the distant future.

1) I don't want to brag;
2) I don't want to incur nitpicking and ridicule/criticism by people who just look for opportunities to push others into defense whenever they say things they do.

If someone says what people in general should do, or what should happen generally for certain purposes, then you can assess whether they are right or not. It's like if I tell you adjusting your gears will cause them to shift more smoothly, it doesn't matter if I practice what I preach or not. I might never adjust my gears and my bike sounds like an abacus all the time, but the fact remains true that adjusting the gears on my bike or yours can make it shift more smoothly AND people should adjust their gears for that reason.

And it is clear to me when I read something like this that you are more interested in negativity and ridicule of others than you are in discussing positive/constructive paths forward.

Maybe because they are headstrong/pig-headed/stubborn. Some people can listen to what others think and not get triggered into rejecting them and "walking away." I understand that some people have been beaten into submission in their lives so they are sensitive to others pushing them toward submission. I myself don't like pushy people and their pushing. But when I say what should happen or what people should do, I'm not pushing because I ultimately respect their individual liberty. I may consider them unreasonable and pig-headed for rejecting what I consider to be sound advice, but what can I do about it? Punish them? How?

I wonder if you realize how the very points posted by others are confirmed by you responses? It is as if the word recalcitrant is being defined in a few paragraphs.