Old 07-16-19, 09:54 AM
Gashepherd

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
At least they've got a couple. I went to work out of town one time without my ride and after having just had knee surgery (needed physical therapy); stopped in a thrift store to see if I could find something to roll on, but nothing. Found another place that had 2 cheap step-through "mtb" bikes that essentially were un-rideable, but grabbed one for $15 and rebuilt; gave it back to the thrift store when I left 2 months later (I told them I'd give back when I bought it; they thought I was a little wacked out; and I am!), so someone ended up with a decent riding bike, and I told the thrift store that it was now worth $20 when they resell it. My brother just picked up a decent Trek from a thrift shop for $30, but you need to always be checking these places. I live near a couple colleges so always a fairly decent amount to choose from, although many aren't much to write home about. That "PAN WORLD" bike looks in pretty good shape for what it is. I've also got a "repurposed" materials/goods business in town and have picked up a Royal Scot for $40; trying to get their Robin Hood for the past year and a half, but they won't budge on the price ($100), and it's getting in worse shape every day so I drop my offer $5 every 3-4 months; much longer and I'll only be offering $5 for the hunk of rust that remains. Everybody thinks it's collectible if seen on ebay for hundreds of dollars, but they neglect to see what condition these bikes are in compared to their own. That is now the biggest problem with second hand bikes being sold at businesses and on Craigslist; everyone has that "rare" bike that's "selling" (or trying to sell) for over $1000; apparently your Pinarello Dogma on ebay makes the value of my Pinarello "sport frame" worth a couple grand just because of the name nowadays; NOT!
It's actually in great shape, the crazy thing is that 2-3 years ago it would have come out at $25-$30, that is some crazy inflation