Old 06-29-19, 08:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Later...

So you disagree, then reflect precisely the same point on an exaggerated level that I never referred to at any point. Ok then..

In summary, differences of light in any way will hinder overall visibility somewhere. Whether that be switching from one brightness to another, or having two different brightnesses in the same field of vision.

Far better to have a light that fills everywhere you need to see at a level that is as sustainable as possible throughout your journey.

At least, in the few decades of experience with my own sight.
Although I don’t agree completely with rm -rf’s point on not being able to tell the difference between 700 and 1000 lumens, he does have a point. From a physiological stand point, the way the human eye responds to that difference is fairly narrow. Even larger difference, say 300 lumens to 1500 lumens are going to result in the bleaching of the rod cells and, thus, a complete reliance on cone cells which respond much quicker to light differences. You aren’t going to see any differently outside of the light you are using because the light is dimmer than if it is brighter.

Bottom line: you can’t preserve night vision...which is what you are talking about...by using dimmer lights. You can preserve it by using the red spectrum of light but any white light photons of any intensity bleaches out your night vision. Using a dimmer light just means that you won’t see as much.

Again, try the experiment and see how it works. I, too, have many decades of experience with riding at night. I know, from experience, that using dimmer lights doesn’t make riding at night easier or better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!