View Single Post
Old 11-14-19, 10:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by DeceptivelySlow
Nice bike; not sure what a dropper is; I will consult my friend Google for enlightenment. In this neck of the woods, figuratively and literally, the large majority of single track means riding numerous rocks and roots. FS is the way to go I just have not been mountain biking enough to justify it but an FS bike will certainly increase the appeal and help get me out there. I am considering renting one for a day just to give it a try.
A dropper seatpost. A lever on the handlebar controls the seatpost. Some drop 200mm, some only 85. The most obvious use is when descending, you lower the saddle which lowers your center of gravity which makes steep descents safer and easier.
You can extend the seatpost to your climbing position for smooth climbs or road sections and lower it just a bit for rough climbs. I find it helps keep the front wheel going where I want it to go on rough or technical climbs.
Another thing I have discovered is if I get off the bike on a rough section or climb it's so much easier to get going again if I lower the seat. If I stop someplace where it's hard to swing my leg over the bike, I can lower the seat several inches.
Likes For big john: