View Single Post
Old 01-11-20, 02:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Thanks for the o.a. tip about strong dilution and short time period! A tablespoon to a cup of water is about 12 times stronger than what I use to soak a frame, but I have to soak it for a day or two at that strength. Did the yellow residue that forms when you soak a frame start to form in that short time period?
And nice bike!
Brent
Normally, I use a quarter teaspoon per 10oz of water, so this was eight times stronger than that, maybe stronger yet since I used a somewhat-heaping tablespoon.

The normal mix removes rust over night, but hereI had most of the rust gone in about twenty minutes.

The residue appeared like dirty water, but came right off with a shower and drying with a rag, no additional scrubbing at all.

What's amazing is that even the severely bubbled chrome on the top nut gleams good enough from just six feet away, even though much of the chrome is gone.

I was kind of expecting some deleterious result on the paint or something, but it washed off and all of the parts and paint look fine.

I weighed the bike today including pedals and lightweight bottle cage, came up as the exact same 24 pounds as my recent Pro-Tour save! This one even has lighter rims and cassette-style hub, so this does seem a little odd to me. 24lbs is what my stock SR Semi-Pro with pedals weighs (these are all ~57-58cm frame size).