Old 01-25-20, 06:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Longest Ride, Average Ride, Shortest You'll Go Out For

100 miles (at most once or twice a year)

14 miles usual commute (can be extended occasionally to 20 to 30 miles when training for a century; weekend training rides about 40 to 70 miles)

5 miles (minimal commute, part way by Commuter Rail)
Originally Posted by canklecat
But I'm extremely slow to warm up. It can take me up to an hour just to warm up enough for a maximum effort. So either I'll do 30-60 minutes on the trainer before chasing a Strava PR, or ride at an easy pace for up to an hour before tackling the hard segments
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Wow.
Speaking of warming up, FWIW I had posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"How do you warm up?"

I had previously replied last year to this thread on the Road Cycling Forum, Pre & post warm-up warmdown. I have tried to “quantify” my answer (distance and intensity):
Originally Posted by boshk
How much if any do you do before and after a ride?

..A ride where you need to shower afterwards...
For me, that’s a ride of minimum of ten miles, and my commute is a minimum of14 miles. I only warm up, and then ride at cruising pace to the end.

When I first started a training schedule for a century, I noted at what mile I spontaneously realized I felt completely warmed up, i.e. I did not consciously look for it, and it usually occurred at about 6 miles.

My basic riding routine is:
...My basic training is to ride at my RPE [Relative Perceived Exertion] of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%:
  • [70% is described as“hard”;
  • 60% is“somewhat hard,"
  • 80% is “very hard" (lactate threshold;breakpoint between hard but steady breathing and labored with gasping).
  • 50% is "fairly light" (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)]
    Originally Posted by az_cyclist
    I just pedal comfortably for a few miles. To meet club rides now it is fairly easy, as it is 6 or 7 miles (depending on which club) and is a 1% downhill.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-25-20 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: